After considering the possibility of shutting down All-NBA center Anthony Davis, the New Orleans Pelicans will allow Davis back into the lineup for the rest of the season, the team confirmed in a statement Thursday night.
After the trade deadline passed with Davis on the roster Thursday, Pelicans executives and coach Alvin Gentry met to discuss the plan to reincorporate Davis into the team, league sources told ESPN. The NBA office was concerned about the possibility of a healthy star being forced to sit out in this situation, sources said.
In a statement Thursday night explaining the decision, general manager Dell Demps said, “A number of factors contributed to this decision. Ultimately, Anthony made it clear to us that he wants to play, and he gives our team the best opportunity to win games.
“Moreover, the Pelicans want to preserve the integrity of the game and align our organization with NBA policies. We believe Anthony playing upholds the values that are in the best interest of the NBA and its fans. We look forward to seeing Anthony in a Pelicans uniform again soon.”
Davis has said he wants to return to the lineup and finish the season on the court.
Because Davis had requested a trade 11 days ago and informed the organization that he would leave in free agency in 2020, there had been consideration of sitting Davis and preserving his health as a trade asset, sources said.
Davis has missed nine games with a finger injury but was cleared to practice this week.
Notice: Trying to get property of non-object in /home/anambrae/public_html/thefact/wp-content/themes/flex-mag/functions.php on line 982